Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Favorite Spaces

As a part of my Campus Ecology class at the University of Georgia, I am creating a blog to document my thoughts and perceptions of sustainability efforts on our college campuses. The title of my blog, The Campus GREEN, is inspired by a well loved part of many campuses. Memories of my own undergraduate campus, Presbyterian College, often take me back to times spent on front and back plaza.  For me, sustainability is preserving the experience that our campus green spaces and historic buildings provide. Those shared experiences connect graduates across several generations.  The need for convenience and a quick-fix to our educational needs threatens the opportunity of future generations to enjoy these experiences.

As a student affairs professional, I have been lucky to always go to school and work on beautiful campuses that provide its inhabitants a strong sense of place.  When I think of my current and past institutions, the pictures below are what comes to mind.  Enjoy!

Presbyterian College - Neville Hall
My undergraduate campus has plans to change some of the campus layout.
Interested (and nervous) to see how that evolves.  I spent a lot of time in Neville Hall.
Changes being made will ensure that other students get to spend a lot of time there as well.

University of South Carolina - The Historic Horseshoe
One of my favorite places as a graduate student at USC.
Although near the heart of the city, this part of campus felt far removed
 from the rest of the world.

Maryville College
My first job out of graduate school was at this beautiful place in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.  
University of Georgia - The Arch
A symbol of tradition, walking through the Arch at UGA after graduation is a right of passage.
Although mostly an online student, this part of campus already has great meaning for me
because of shared experiences with my cohort.


Mercer University - Cruz  Plaza
While much different than what I remember as a employee, this space
provides a good example of a university creating and preserving green space.

Georgia College - Front Campus
Real community happens on front campus at my current institution
I love working with the students at this campus
.

No comments:

Post a Comment